Hope springs eternal for statists. When President Trump was coming into office four years ago, conservatives were filled with hope and optimism that Trump would save America from its deep morass of crises and chaos.
Alas, it didn’t happen. American society is just as dysfunctional as it was when Trump became president.
Now, it’s the liberals’ turn. They too are now filled with hope and optimism that their man — Joe Biden — will save America from the crises and chaos that afflict our land.
It ain’t gonna happen, and the sooner the American people finally come to that realization, the sooner we will be able to get our nation back on the right track — toward liberty, peace, prosperity, and harmony.
The problem is that you’ve got an inherently defective system — the welfare-warfare system under which we live. No one can make it work. No matter who is elected, the crises and the chaos will remain. Tampering with this defective system only makes the situation worse.
Healthcare crisis. Education crisis. Foreign policy crisis. Financial crisis. Monetary crisis. Immigration crisis. Trade crisis. They all will continue under Biden, no matter what he does.
Now would be a good time for Americans to engage in some serious soul-searching and self-examination. What kind of society do they want to live in? If they like the type of crisis-ridden and chaos-filled society in which we live, then they should keep the welfare-warfare state system. If they would prefer a free and normal society, then they should focus on changing systems, not presidents.
Here is the ideal system:
- No socialism. Dismantle all the welfare state part of the federal government by repealing Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, farm subsidies, education grants, and every other socialist program that takes money from Peter and gives it to Paul. No more mandatory charity. Leave charity entirely voluntary.
- No interventionism and regulation. No more governmental control, management, and regulation of economic activity.
- Establish a free-market monetary system. Dismantle the Federal Reserve and repeal legal-tender laws. Let the market determine what money will be used for transactions.
- Abolish the federal income tax and the IRS. Leave people free to keep everything they earn and decide for themselves what to do with it.
- End imperialism and foreign interventionism. Dismantle the Pentagon, the vast military-industrial complex, the empire of foreign and domestic military bases, the CIA, the NSA, and the FBI. End all foreign interventionism and limit the U.S. government to defending the United States. End the national-security state and restore a limited-government republic. Retain just a basic military force.
- End all trade restrictions and immigration controls. Establish free trade and open immigration. Open the borders to the free movements of goods, services, and people.
- Repeal all drug laws.
- Separate healthcare and the state.
- Separate charity and the state.
- Separate economy and the state.
- Separate education and the state.
This is a system that works. It would bring an end to the crises and chaos that besiege our land. Our American ancestors proved it. This is the system that the American people should restore. This is the system that will bring liberty, peace, prosperity, and harmony to our land.
Jacob G. Hornberger is founder and president of The Future of Freedom Foundation. He was born and raised in Laredo, Texas, and received his B.A. in economics from Virginia Military Institute and his law degree from the University of Texas. He was a trial attorney for twelve years in Texas. He also was an adjunct professor at the University of Dallas, where he taught law and economics. In 1987, Mr. Hornberger left the practice of law to become director of programs at the Foundation for Economic Education. He has advanced freedom and free markets on talk-radio stations all across the country as well as on Fox News’ Neil Cavuto and Greta van Susteren shows and he appeared as a regular commentator on Judge Andrew Napolitano’s show Freedom Watch. View these interviews at LewRockwell.com and from Full Context. Send him email.